“J-Boy,” Phoenix (EJ)
Phoenix is back, and boy…are they back. This song fucks.
“Doing It for the Money,” Foster the People (JH)
Their kicks are still pumped up.
Your winner (easy choice)…
Phoenix ::: J-Boy
“Shine a Light,” Shabazz Palaces ft. Thaddilac
- This one has a great classic feel to it with its sample and gets into a nice flow on the verse. A teaser for Shabazz Palace’s upcoming album release.
“Europa Pools,” Cashmere Cat ft. Kacy Hill
- Perhaps an unconventional pick from the varietal Cashmere Cat release, I found this track to be the most interesting from that album. Kacy Hill’s measured vocals complement Cashmere Cat’s always superb production.
“99,” Elliot Moss
- A great melody lives at the heart of this melancholy fusion of folk and electronica.
“Love Galore,” SZA ft. Travi$ Scott
- SZA brings in heavy hitter Travi$ Scott for this single ahead of her album. I expect you’ll hear much more from her in the coming weeks.
“Plot Twist,” Sigrid
- This is how you do pop music.
“Just Dancing,” Sylvan Esso
- Really with their What Now album. I liked their single “Coffee” from back in 2014 but these guys have really taken it to another level with this album and the singles from it. They’ve become one of my personal favorites in pretty short order.
“Without U,” Steve Aioki ft. DVBBS & 2 Chainz
- Eric, I promise this isn’t a troll. I was in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago and went to a Stevie Aoki show which was a blast but got me a “raised eyebrow” look from Eric. I’m well aware that Steve Aoki is a bit of a musical pariah but the dude has energy and some of his songs are fun. “Without U” also wins my favorite lyric of the week award with “You either got balls or you shoot like Steph.”
“Let You Go,” Machine Gun Kelly
- Maybe I just wasn’t familiar enough with MGK but his recent single releases seem drastically better than what I knew of his prior work. Am I missing something? Either way, props to him. Might have to hit up the Fargo show he has coming up.
“Number One,” Portugal. The Man ft. Richie Havens & Son Little
- I’ll give Eric full credit for clueing me into Portugal. The Man. I’m really liking whatever it is they have cooking up for what I assume is a new album.
SHOWDOWN FOR THE BELT
Je suis désolé, Phoenix. K-dot on top for another week.
Winner: Kendrick Lamar